Sunday, September 20, 2009

Portugal

I got to borrow an adapter for my camera from the hostel in Lisbon. I ended up keeping it until I was at my last hostel in Amsterdam and then I donated it to them. I had a really cool roommate from Poland. The views were amazing. Lisbon was much cheaper than anywhere else I had been. But most of the stuff they were selling was crap. And clothes are still much cheaping in America, cause everything goes on sale. I never made it to the beach because the day I planned on going it stormed all day. I did see a great castle in the city and I saw a flea market at a church that was really big and cool. I never walked more in one day in my life. I don't know how much I walked but somehow it was all up hill. I rode a little trolly and of course got lost and ended up spending more that I needed to. I found the german super markets that are so popular in south america and spain and i guess even portugal. There was a party at the hostel for a girl who worked there and the food was amazing, but not better than the sangria. Portuguese food and wine is so so so so good. Worth it. The city is so beautiful and old and there are lots of great things to do outside the city. Good trains, subways, buses, and trollies. The only real issue is that not many people speak english, but they can understand spanish well. I stayed in and old old part of town. The directions to walk there involved turning left at the stop light. I laughed my ass off when I saw the stop light. It was about waist high pole sticking out of the ground with a red bulb and a green one, and there was just one in the 3 way intersection. I walk to that hostel was barbaric. It was climbing up up up with my 40+ pound backpack. I was so sweaty. Ah and to get to my room in the hostel I had to climb through a window. Seriously. The bathroom was so tiny. A toilet and a tiny shower stall and one square foot of floor space, literally and no fan. I really liked Lisbon and I would love to go back and visit more town on the south shore. When I took the bus to seville I passed the most gorgeous vacation towns and pretty beaches and fields of sunflowers....have you ever seen fields of sunflowers in 100+ degree weather. Its gorgeous and on the other side of me was the ocean shining bright blue with sailboats. It was the best bus ride. I should bring up, riding the bus is scary as shit, when you consider there are pretty much no signs anywhere so every time you stop you need to be worried if it's your stop and if you should get off. I would recommend finding out how long the bus ride should be to reduce your worry. Oh and drink maracuja flavor of fanta! Oh and get the cookies from the store in a package that are like cookie with a layer of cream and then chocolate on top....So good. Its not even funny. So Seville..

No comments: