Wednesday, November 12, 2008

11/10/08

We had a full day of walking and random crap. Late that evening my dad suggested that we go to Karioke. Uh, so kicking and screaming we all got ready. We left the house at like 11pm and walked down to the place. We were walking and talking. I was asking my dad about how he came to America. We got there, to our surprise it was full of people. My dad and step mom really wanted me to sing. I told my dad from the 1st day I was here I wouldn’t ever sing and if I did it would only be after I was shitfaced. So the beer started flowing. We waited and waited for my dad’s first turn and he got up on the mini stage and sang some Portuguese song, that apparently everyone in Brazil knows, because everyone in the bar was singing along with him. Then my step mom sang the first English song we had heard and she got a huge round of applause. I’m drinking my beer looking through the lists of songs trying to talk myself into getting up in front of all these people and singing. There was some drunk lady hustling tables for free drinks and she made our way to our table. I told her sorry but I don’t speak Portuguese and that’s the same tactic that my step mom and dad took. It totally felt like work. She gave up on us and moved to another table where she was practically giving lap dances. Anyway, it was at this time my dad got back up and sang the twist. I wish I had my camera. He was up there singing away, twisting, and shaking his ass. Oh my god it was so funny. Everyone in the place was laughing, cheering, and clapping along. It was quite a sight. We got thoroughly bored as it became clear tonight was not the night of my debut. We took off and my dad drug us down to his favorite little watering hole, the caparinia place. There are only 2 tables outside of this place and 1 of them was full of a bunch of people from Argentina. My dad is a total attention whore. He came up on this scene and stole the show. Talking to the people telling them all about how he was from England, then went to Canada, then went to US, then here, and this is my daughter from the states, she’s been to Argentina….on and on. So we were a party of people speaking Spanish, English, and Portuguese and one of the guys working at the place was playing music trying his best to get this little teenage girl to dance with him. My dad bought the people a drink and everyone took a million pictures and had a lot of fun. It was 1 when we headed home and everyone kissed and hugged goodbye. Walking back home my dad reflected on the evening happily. He commented on how nice it was to meet new people and all we had to do was say hello and talk to them. He said he was glad he sang the twist because it made everyone so happy. He seemed quite satisfied with the evening and himself, not in an outwardly boastful way, but more like a personal gratification. It’s really nice to see my dad differently. It was at this point my step mom crossed a street and all the alcohol she drank hit her. “I’m drunk, you never see this” I turned around to look at her hanging off my dad swaying back and forth as she walked. It was hilarious! My new favorite game is fucking with my step mom and dad through the other person. Well, mostly it’s fucking with my dad through my stepmom, but my dad is an ass sometimes especially to her. So we were walking and I see a bunch of lumber on the street and suggest that hey maybe we need this. My drunk step mom thinks that’s a great idea and she has to have it. So there is my dad and step mom arguing in the street over trash. It was hilarious (if you hadn’t noticed I was drunk too, well a bit at least) I’m cackling and snorting all the way home. The battle over the lumber ended with my step mom deciding on a random piece she could carry herself that had a hole in it her had fit into. It started to rain. She held that piece of wood over her head the rest of the way home. Typing this now it was way funnier when it happened and I really must have been drunk cause it’s not near as funny now. Eh.

No comments: